Back in February, the guy who originally interviewed and hired me at Datamark (Kirk) announced he was leaving the company, and had a new position at Stevens Henager College doing the same work directly for the school.
It seemed strange that the man who was always there, without whom Datamark just wouldn't be Datamark as I knew it, was leaving.
I distinctly remember talking to him about it, then as I was walking back to my desk I thought to myself "I need to connect with Kirk ok LinkedIn and Facebook so I can reach out to him if I find myself not working at Datamark anymore"
I got back to the desk and promptly sent him the invites for those two networks- to which he accepted that same day. It was only a few weeks later that Ezril was born and I was laid off. Immediately I began to think of those in the industry I could call upon for a favor, and Kirk was one of them. You may be thinking "Darrell called up Kirk, and Kirk hired him" Nope.
I did email him and asked about openings. He said there were none, but he'd let me know if any came up. Meanwhile, I had been scouring all job postings in existence and applying for nearly everything remotely within my ability and desire.
As I have previsouly written, when I got a call for an interview, I was told it was CollegeAmerica, who owned Independence University, California College of San Diego, and Stevens Henager College. I then, said, "Oh, I have a friend who works for SHC- do you know Kirk?" The man said "Yes, he's in the office next door".
When I came in for the interview, I stopped in to speak to Kirk, and we indulged in a bit of trash talking regarding our former employer with lines such as "What's the deal with Datamark, are they ever going to settle down?", etc.
I left feeling good that Kirk would talk to his peers who were doing the hiring, and 'put in a good word for me'.
I have no doubt that he did, because he repeatedly told me- "I think you'd be a really good fit here, and you'd like it". Very interesting how it all works out. Our company also just hired another friend of mine with whom I worked at Datamark who was also laid off, and there are a few others in the running for yet another position about to be filled.
Ex-Datamark Employees....they keep coming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think it's great that there are options in your industry in this state. If Ryan were to lose his job, we would have to leave the state in order for him to find another one with a Rauland dealer. Marshall Industries is it in Utah. He could probably find something similar, but nothing exactly the same.
ReplyDelete